Friday, June 3, 2011

Music Liners -- "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars

If it looks like I am a big fan of pop music, then it's true. I often tell people that normally people grow into different phrases of music taste: pop music when younger, then rock in the middle-age, while classical in the old age. But I seem to be stuck in the pop music phrase, which I am quite proud of it.

One of the songs I really like is Bruno Mars' "Just the Way You Are". The main reason is that the lyrics are simple yet straightforward and very much genuine. A separate reason is that I first heard music when I had (and still am?) fallen for Mandy. Therefore, the song made spoke to me powerfully as Mandy embodied everything the lyrics said.




As anyone who heard the song can attest, it is a "cheesy" song. It resolves around the author/singer, singing to his love interest about how he loves her just the way she is. He is seemingly mesmerized by her everything --and wouldn't change her for the world. This message about being loved "just the way you are" is an universal one that everyone craves to her. We all want to be liked, loved, and feel a sense of togetherness with another. From the perspective of any female listener, hearing these words can be gratifying and heartfully appreciated. I'd say that a male listener would feel something similar; although, to be fair, females care more about their looks than guys.

Anyway, I think two lines from this song are just fantastic:

"...when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while..."
"...you are amazing, just the way you are."

I already discussed the second line's implications. It's a powerful straight-shot to the heart.

The first line requires a little more perspective in understanding -- and it helps if you've ever fallen for someone. A smile is a very beautiful sight to behold: it communicates a sense of joy/happiness that transcends any barriers in age, gender, race, or condition. When you see someone smiling, you know they are happy (unless a fake smile, of course). Yet this joy/happiness is exponentially magnified when you have a romantic interest in the person smiling. In these instances, as Bruno Mars serenades, you want to do nothing but just stare at the smile and...behold its sheer beauty.

From a personal perspective, I like this line because Mandy's smile has that effect on me. I have never seen a more beautiful smile than hers. When she does smile (a rare sight nowadays, for me at least), I sometimes have the urge to shut up and just stare. It probably makes a very stupid sight but, hey, these are the times you just don't care about the opinion of others. Her smile is probably more beautiful by the fact that she smiles with her eyes (e.g. slightly squint)!

No comments:

Post a Comment