Monday, June 6, 2011

CNNMoney: "We're in for a weak summer"

And I agree with the statement by a senior trader at ETX Capital, as reported by CNN Money. This summer looks very bearish for the financial markets -- even by their standard inactivity in the summertime. The past two or three weeks has seen stock markets across the world plunge; and it doesn't look like things will change for the better.

I can't say I'm happy because my stocks have been losing ground too. Although losses have not been catastrophic, they largely do not seem to have sense. For example, AMD is making a push on the its Fusion front and Ford's monthly sales are still growing worldwide. But pessimism appears to be contagious in the financial markets. Everyone is scared that the economic recovery is stagnating and might eventually dip downward. This, coupled with high oil prices, means less business activity in general.

But this opens up an opportunity for value investors. As I have written before, it's easy to profit on a bull market but much more difficult in a bear market. It's what differentiates the smart investors from the not-so-smart ones. The famous Warren Buffett once said that "It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked". Along these lines, I am not sure what I will be doing in the coming months concerning my own positions. Maybe I will invest more and further diversify my portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment