Thursday, February 24, 2011

Yoga

Through a wellness program funded by my employer, I am eligible to receive free yoga classes twice a week for the next month or so. The location is fairly close to my work location and so my immediate reaction is "why not?" Alas I tried it for the first time last night -- and it turned to be a worthwhile experience...

Why do I want to do yoga? Aside from it being free (biggest incentive by far), I feel it would be useful to balance out all the weight training I subject my body a few times a week. I heard many things about the healthy-ness of yoga, like how it helps to tone your body, make you more flexible, and to relax better. Those first two reasons consists of my second-tier incentives to take up yoga -- because I want to become a superior athlete (and get a six-pack). The biggest disincentive is that I am a guy and normally guys don't do yoga. Overcoming the social conventions wasn't easy but, when push comes to shove, sometimes one has to be different.

As I noted before, it turned out to be a good experience. I participated in the beginners class, in which the instructor was very helpful to carefully model each stance. We mostly did arm and shoulder-related exercises. Some weren't easy (e.g. balancing on one leg while contorting your arms together) but they were straightforward. All the other students were attentive, but older than I am. (This really isn't an issue as I can relate to the elderly populace).

Although I didn't feel an immediate physical gratification afterward, yoga turned out to be an exhausting ordeal. When carried out properly, each pose takes precise body control and relaxation at the same time. In other words, it can be very physically demanding when done correctly. I will definitely be returning to the class for the next month or so.

Goal-driven person that I am, I have come up with the following goals:
  • Move up to the Level II class within 2 weeks, as a way to challenge myself.
  • Go to classes twice a week.
  • Practice independently from time to time.
  • Get in better shape and become more flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment